More and more people are looking for alternative ways to grow their produce since COVID 2019 affected our communities, making it impossible to obtain fresh green leafy herbs from the supermarket every day. I often see questions online asking are Asian herbs easy to grow in my AeroGarden.
Using Asian Herbs in Cooking
Many of us love cooking Asian food in our kitchens and would love to have fresh Asian herbs on hand no matter the season.
Cooking your favourite recipe containing your home-grown herbs, just imagine what that can do to your self-esteem when your family and friends ask you what or where you obtained the herbs. You smile and proudly say, why in my AeroGarden, in my kitchen.
You can always grow excellent produce right in the comfort of your own home with an AeroGarden.
No matter the Weather
Honestly, can you imagine not having to step outside when it rains or snows? Your herbs are right there in your kitchen for you to pick.
AeroGarden Asian Herb Kits
Asian Herb Seed Pod Kits (7 pods or 9 pods)
- Has what you need to get started
- Grow your Asian herbs all your round indoors
The Benefits of growing AeroGarden Asian Herbs in your unit
- Your Asian seeds are tested for maximum growth, flavour, colour and yield
- Seeds are guaranteed to be non-GMO, contain no herbicides or pesticides
- They provide a 100 per cent germination guarantee, and if any seed fails to germinate, AeroGarden says they will replace it for free
- AeroGarden uses pure Canadian Spaghgnum Peat for their pre-seeded pods
- Seeds grow without soil, therefore no mess
- Grow indoors all year round
- More health benefits
- Full of nutrition
- No weeds
- AeroGarden system tells you when to add water and nutrients
- You can set your lights to turn on and off, even change the level of light.
- Adds greenery to your kitchen
- You can start your seeds in your aerogarden and transplant them to your garden when the season is right
- The air in your home remains fresh
- Fresh herbs at your fingertips
What do the AeroGarden kits contain
The seed pods kits contain depends on whether you purchase a 7-pod or a 9-pod.
7-pod Seed Kit contains
The 9-pod has
- Holy Basil (1 seed pod)
- Mitsuba (2 seed pods)
- Chives (1 seed pod)
- Cilantro (1 seed pod)
- Thai Basil (1 seed pod)
- Shungiku (2 seed pods)
- Mint (1 Seedpod)
Both the kits will come with
- Special patented liquid nutrients formulated plant food
- Grow domes that act as a mini-greenhouse so seeds can germinate
- Insert growing guide that has step-by-step instructions
Some Disadvantages of the seed kits
- Some Pods Fail to sprout and grow
- Some seed pods grow spindly and show weak growth
- Different types of water can affect seeds sprouting and growing if more than one fails to produce. AeroGarden recommends distilled water
- Purchasing new seed pods for your aerogarden can be pretty expensive
Which Asian Herbs are challenging to grow in your AeroGarden?
Mint can be fickle, and it will either grow and take over your AeroGarden. Otherwise, it will stay weak and straggly. Growing mint can be slow at the start, and my growth looked very weak in appearance. Not like the one I have growing outside in the garden, which has a robust and healthy appearance.
When will my Asian Herbs be ready for Harvest?
Seed germination can take anywhere from four days to 14 days to sprout, grow, and be ready for Harvest within 4 weeks. Your herbs can last 6 months or longer.
I have a parsley plant the I planted 12 months ago in my aerogarden. It was growing so well and was the only herb left, so I transplanted it to my veggie patch, looking green and healthy. It’s generally recommended to transplant to a plant pot until the roots get more robust, but I passed and went straight to the garden.
The Health Benefits of Asian Herbs On Your Body
Holy basil has many benefits for your health in several ways. It helps
- protect you against infection
- lower blood sugar
- lower your cholesterol
- ease pain in the joints
- protects your stomach
When you should not take Holy Basil
- if you already have low blood sugar
- trying to get pregnant
- Blood-thinning drugs
Holy Basil usually is relatively safe to add to your food; however, overdosing can cause nausea and diarrhea.
Mitsuba is also known as the Japanese ParsleyParsley that looks quite similar to the Italian ParsleyParsley. Mitsuba is a favourite in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. All parts of the Mitsuba plant is edible.
Mitsuba contains lots of nutrients and minerals that are beneficial to your health.
- It helps boost your immune system
- Rich in nutrients
- High in antioxidants
- It helps prevent the development of cancer cells
- Excellent for promoting healthy blood flow in your body
- Aids in controlling your blood pressure
- Looks after your heart health
- It can help relieve stress and calm your nervous system
- Relaxes your muscles
- Provides vitamin K for healthy, strong bones
- Deals with osteoporosis
- Relieves cold and sore throats
Mitsuba has many health benefits; however, there are also warnings
- It could be toxic if eaten in high amounts
- Possible allergic reaction from the leaves
- Some mitsuba could be grown in the ground that has been treated with dangerous chemicals.
Moderation is the key.
Chives are beautiful tiny plants of the onion family. They are ideal transplanted from your AeroGarden into your veggie patch and used as a border.
Chives have plenty of health benefits when added to your food for flavour. It’s hard to believe what this little plant that we take for granted can do.
- Reduce bad cholesterol levels
- Promote blood flow for your heart and other organs in your body
- It helps prevent heart failure, heart attacks and high blood pressure
- Ideal for healthy skin and healthy hair
- Improves eye vision
- Detoxifies the body
- It helps to prevent cancer
- Helps the bones
- Aids digestion
- Improves sleep
- Support the immune system
- It helps repair your immune system
- Fights against inflammation
- Helps manage blood sugar
Cilantro may provide health benefits to your body. It may help reduce the risk of
- heart disease
it may help your energy levels and promote healthy hair and skin.
Thai basil is very nutritious, contains lots of vitamins and nutrients that are needed by your body. Thai basil has many properties
Did you know that Basil Seeds have become the new superfood? That’s because they are safe to eat. Thai Basil also has other benefits for your skin and hair
Shungiku is used in many Japanese dishes to add flavour to your food and health benefits for your body. The leaf should be firm and dark green.
- High in beta carotene
- High nutritional value
- Maintain healthy skin and mucous membranes
- Good for the nerves
- Assists with weight loss
- Protects the cardiovascular systems
- Kidney stones
- Cellulite bloating and bone loss
Mint has a beautiful aroma when touched or brushed with your hand.
- High in nutrients
- Help irritable bowel syndrome
- Aid digestion
- Improve brain function
- May help reduce pain during breastfeeding
- Cold symptoms
- Bad breath
- Good for the skin
My final Thoughts On Growing Asian Herbs
Growing Asian herbs in your AeroGarden produces fresh that provide high-quality, nutritious herbs for your culinary needs. Imagine cooking your Asian dishes and flavouring them with your home-grown herbs all year round, and you don’t have to worry about what the season is doing next.
My Aero Gardening is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regime, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.
My reviews are based on my personal own experience and research. I never recommend poor quality products or create false reviews to make sales. It is my intention to explain products so you can make an informed decision on which ones suit your needs best. If you have any questions about this post’s content, please leave a comment below I would love to hear what you think about the article.